- Stand up for all books, even those you may not like.
- Speak up for the First Amendment and the right to read.
- Attend school board, PTA, library meetings, or public hearings where book bans are being discussed
- Write letters to your local administrators, politicians and newspapers supporting the right to read. Remind officials that no one has the right to restrict access to books.
- Report censorship to the American Library Association.
- Report censorship to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund by calling 1-800-99-CBLDF.
- Report censorship to the National Coalition Against Censorship.
Banned Books Week 2021 takes place September 26 to October 2. Use these ALA assets and the following hashtags when speaking out on social media: